Introducing intelligent diagnostic solutions for antibiotic stewardship.
Antibiotic Stewardship involves making responsible decisions on when and how to prescribe antibiotic therapy.
The CDC has stated that at least 30% of antibiotics prescribed in the US are either unnecessary or inappropriate. The other 70% is still in need of further customization in choosing the appropriate dosing due to the variability in metabolization and drug absorption.
In 2019, we are also experiencing a shortage in antibiotics, which is propelling the antibiotic resistance crisis into a true global epidemic.
The scholars of a white paper by the Dutch non-profit organization, Access to Medicine recently stated that lack of access to specific antibiotics can lead to less appropriate antibiotics being prescribed for an infection, the use of lower doses or delays in treatment.
Source: Access to Medicine Foundation
At present, more than 100 drugs, including a number of antibiotics, are listed by the US Food and Drug administration as being in short supply.
Source: The Guardian
Integrating ABXAssist™ into an Antibiotic Stewardship program is the perfect solution in helping clinicians quickly decide:
- Viral vs. Bacterial Etiology
- Pathogen Load
- Antibiotic Resistance
- Appropriate Antibiotic Guidance
ABXAssist™, an intelligent, molecular diagnostic solution. This is a unique, data-driven approach that combines precise, molecular pathogen and resistance gene detection with sensitivity and susceptibility data (Sanford Guide®). ABXAssist™ supports clinicians in providing a more targeted and customized treatment plan through pharmacy guidance for their patients within 24 hours of the patient sample arriving at our lab. This guidance may consider the patient’s age, comorbidities, allergies, concomitant medications, regional susceptibility patterns in addition to the test results.
VIKOR also offers the most comprehensive Resistance Gene Testing Panel on the market today. VIKOR’S resistance panel currently identifies 29 resistance genes (soon to offer 49) that could lead to ineffective antibiotic therapy, including the genes for the enzymes associated with ESBL, which can have even worse outcomes than MRSA.